8 Ways to Get Rid of Migraines
Headaches are extremely common in society, and quite frankly, the situation is getting worse. Millions of people are affected on a daily basis with incapacitating migraines. Symptoms can range from severe head discomfort on one or both side, often associated with nausea and other complaints. This can wreck lives.
Obese people are more likely to suffer from chronic headaches. Lose the weight and watch the symptoms disappear.
From a cardiology standpoint, studies show that people who suffer from migraines have a higher risk of heart attacks and strokes. The cause of these severe headaches appears to be vessel malfunction. The good news is, it can be fixed.
Here are 8 ways to get rid of migraines. And guess what? None of them involve using pharmaceuticals.
1) Eat Paleo. Food sensitivities and triggers are common in migraine patients. Gluten and dairy are common culprits. Also, artificial sweeteners are linked to migraine as is MSG. On the flip side, almonds and walnuts have been shown to improve blood vessel function. Beets work in a similar fashion. Know what you are eating.
2) Avoid environmental pollutants. Allergens, household chemicals, and air pollution all contribute to migraine. Work on cleaning up your environment and reap all of the amazing benefits. Consider a quality air purifier. Avoid tobacco and second-hand smoke. Both are associated with migraine.
3) Exercise. Physical activity, yoga, and meditation all decrease migraine frequency and severity.
4) Chiropractic care decreases migraines. Other physical medicine techniques and even acupuncture provide relief in many patients.
5) Supplements proven to work include omega-3 fish oil, magnesium, vitamin B2, and vitamin B6. Give these products a try. If they work great. If they don’t, stop them. This is true of any supplement.
6) Get your Z’s. Sleep 8-9 hours a night for a proven way to reduce migraine occurrence
7) Get tested. Know your genetics and also heavy metal status. See your natural doctor for this one.
8) Manage stress, anger, depression, and anxiety. All of these occur in migraineurs. Deal with these issues with your natural doctor, therapist, or psychologist.
Dr. Jack Wolfson
Senior Editor, Clear Health Now
Dr. Jack Wolfson DO, FACC is a board-certified cardiologist who believes bad nutrition and toxins create heart health problems. He prevents and treats cardiovascular disease with good nutrition, not medicines and treats the whole person, not just the symptoms.
He is the author of The Paleo Cardiologist: The Natural Way to Heart Health. You can find out more about Dr. Wolfson at The DRs Wolfson.